Quora and Reddit are often underestimated but they are both very good platforms to improve brand awareness, brand authority, get backlinks to your website, and generate traffic for the website. More and more online marketing professionals are realizing this and including both these platforms in their SEO strategy.
What Makes These Two Solid Platforms for SEO and Marketing?
Quora and Reddit are both extremely popular. They both rank in the list of the 100 most popular websites. In fact, according to Alexa data, in the US, Reddit is the 7th most popular website, which is higher than even Wikipedia. This community-based platform gets more than 1.5 billion visitors each month. The users here are highly active.
Quora too gets more than 500 million visitors each month. Thus, both of them can be very good platforms for advertising and website traffic. Many people research on both these places to get more information and for reviews before they buy products or services.
They both have right content policies. The content is always moderated. Spamming or self-promotion is discouraged. Google prefers links from unspammed and clean resources. A backlink from these platforms will thus always be good for the business.
Are Backlinks from Reddit and Quora Useful for SEO?
Often online marketing specialists don’t include Quora & Reddit in their SEO practices for link building because the backlinks from these places are ‘nofollow’. In reality, it is a good strategy to have both nofollow and dofollow links because Google will be suspicious if you exclusively have dofollow links pointing to a website you are trying to promote.
On the other hand, if you also have nofollow links, then your link profile will be more diversified. It will be more organic-looking, which will make it search engine friendly.
John Mueller of Google recently stated that Google doesn’t miss websites that get backlinks from Quora. This only reinstates the fact that both Quora and Reddit are excellent places for link building.
How to Get the Most Out Of Quora: A Step-By-Step Guide
Here’s a good digital marketing strategy for success on Quora –
1. Create a well-thought-out user profile
On Quora, you need a great profile that appears trustworthy. Otherwise, your answers won’t appear valuable. Always have good information in the “About Me” section. Show them what makes you an expert in the area. Add credentials. But remember, only 50 characters will be shown. List your areas of expertise properly. The Quora algorithm always highly values expert replies. Link to your social media accounts. And finally, upload a friendly and clear picture of yourself.
2. Find suitable, niche-related questions
Find relevant questions once you have a good profile. You can select questions that have got the maximum views. Or, you can select questions that have not been answered yet. Answer them showcasing your expertise.
3. Write informative, source-rich, helpful answers
The answers need to be informative. Answer the question directly to your target audience, giving references and statistics. Be as detailed as you can and you will build trust. Remember, Quora’s algorithm will filter out answers that are irrelevant. Your answer will have a better chance of being shown if it is in-depth.
4. Format your answers in an appealing way
Make your answers easy to understand and professional. A quick reply without much thought going into it won’t get many upvotes. Most viewers are going to ignore them. Format properly by using headings, quotes, and bullet points. The text will be easier to read.
5. If you use someone else’s content – indicate the source
You can write what has already been written. But always credit the source. Quora has very strict policies on plagiarism.
6. Link to your website naturally
Quora allows links. But you shouldn’t abuse the system. If you just write… Click here to visit my website, then you are begging for a click. Insert the link to your website organically within the text.
7. Use authoritative sources to enrich and add authority to your answer
Many people make the mistake of just including a single link in the copy to their website. The link naturally looks promotional. Post links to other related websites like YouTube or Wikipedia.
How to Avoid Collapsed Answers?
Sometimes, the answers can get collapsed even after following all guidelines. This can happen because of many reasons, like –
- Your user profile is lacking trustworthiness – Quora may believe that you are not a good fit for the question if you have not displayed your expertise while writing your profile.
- Your answers aren’t helpful to the author of the question – Answer the question directly. Just posting a long text without answering the question won’t take you anywhere.
- You’re overlinking – Many make the mistake of posting too many replies and cramming them all with links. First, establish yourself as someone who is trustworthy. Show that you are an expert.
- Your answers are lacking interaction from other users – Quora may believe that your answers are unworthy if they are not getting upvotes or comments. They may thus get collapsed.
Product/Service Promotion on Reddit: All about Reddiquette and Karma
Like Quora, Reddit too promotes content that offers real value. The best SEO content strategy here is to belong to the community. Tailor your content according to each subreddit.
- Reddiquette – Start by learning the basic rules of the community. The moderators on Reddit look at the age of your profile and your authority, which is often referred to as Karma. So, never rush to submit. Your post is likely to be removed. Do not beg for upvotes. Also, never spam by posting useless comments.
- Karma – Reddit determines the score by calculating the number of downvotes and upvotes received. Karma is a reflection of your reputation. It shows your trustworthiness.
- Marketing on Reddit: Some ground rules – Try to grow your Karma by posting useful content. Be engaging. Do not post links in each submission. Focus on content usefulness. Make it beneficial for the reader.