Mbox is a file format that holds or stores groups of emails and messages. It is widely used to display HTML file formats that a simple text reader cannot. Over 20 email client applications use the Mbox file format, for instance, Apple Mail, Spicebird, Eudora, and Mozilla Thunderbird.
Microsoft Outlook, which supports the PST file format, has gained immense popularity over the years. Many people have been looking for ways to access the Mbox mailbox using Microsoft Outlook. For that, we have to import Mbox to Outlook.
This article will discuss where to locate Mbox files on your computer and how you can import Mbox to Outlook on Mac Operating System.
Locating Mbox Files on Your Computer
MS Outlook only supports the PST file format and has various amazing features like offline accessibility, anti-spam, mailbox organization along with many other add-on features. This is one of the reasons why many people want to import Mbox to outlook. Before importing the files, knowing where Mbox files are on your system is essential.
To find the location of Mbox files:
- Click the “Windows” and “R” keys together.
- A box will appear.
- Type “%AppDATA%.”
- Press “Enter.”
- Double-click on “Thunderbird” then “Profiles.”
All Mbox email client profiles are stored under the main “Profile Folder.”
Importing Mbox to Outlook on macOS
Since all the versions of Outlook have different interfaces and features, there are diverse ways to import Mbox files to Outlook for 2011, 2016, and 2019.
Import MBOX file to Outlook 2011 MAC
Here are the steps to import Mbox to Mac Outlook 2011. Once you open Microsoft Outlook on your Mac, follow the steps below.
- Click File > Import Option.
- Select the option “Contacts or Messages from a Text file.”
- Click on “Continue.”
- Select “Import Messages from a Mbox file.” Then select the Mbox files you want to import.
- Once you’ve selected them, click on Import > Finish.
- The folder “On My Computer” will have these Mbox files stored.
Import MBOX file to Outlook 2016/2019 Mac
Outlook’s 2016/2019 versions don’t have an option to import Mbox files directly. However, you can use the workaround method, which requires a Gmail account, Thunderbird, and Outlook. In other words, we will first convert Mbox to PST using Thunderbird and then import Mbox files to Mac Outlook 2016/2019.
Also, note that to avoid data loss, it is essential to back up the Mbox files on your computer before moving on to import them.
Steps to manually import Mbox files to Outlook 2016/2019:
- Open Gmail.
- Click the Gear button that appears in the top right corner.
- Select “See All Settings.”
- Select the tab that says “Forwarding and pop/IMAP.”
- Scroll down. You will see the “Enable IMAP” option. Click on it.
- Once you’ve enabled IMAP, click “Save Changes,” and you’re done.
Next, you will need to configure Thunderbird to a Gmail ID by first running the Thunderbird email client.
- Set up an existing email address.
- Sign in and “Continue.”
- Then select “IMAP.”
- Re-type the email ID and password in the window that opens.
- Select “Allow” when it asks for permission.
- You will now see a Gmail account on your email client.
This stage will allow you to import Mbox files to Thunderbird. For this, the ImportExportTools NG add-on has to be installed. Once that is done, follow the steps below.
- Right-click on the Folder titled “Local Folder.”
- Select “ImportExportTools NG – Import MBOX file.”
- Select the file that you want to import to Outlook.
Once done, you need to move the data to Gmail by opening the Mbox folder.
- Select the emails and right-click on them.
- Click on “Copy to.”
- Select the “New Gmail Account” option.
- Keep selecting and copying the emails to the new Gmail Account this way.
Once this process is complete, add Gmail to Outlook by first opening Microsoft Outlook 2016/2019. Configure the new account here and let the email sync.
Even though it may seem time-consuming, this is an absolutely free method to import Mbox files to Microsoft Outlook.
Other Ways to Import Mbox to Outlook Mac 2011,2016 and 2019
Since the manual methods mentioned above are complicated, lengthy, and time-consuming, software like RecoveryTools Mbox Converter can be used to make this process easier. Following some simple steps, you can convert Mbox files of various email providers like Opera Mail, Apple Mail, Mulberry, etc.
By importing Mbox files to Microsoft Outlook, you can use its plethora of unique features. You can follow the steps mentioned above to manually import Mbox files to your Outlook version (2011/2016/2019). If you find the manual process lengthy and time-consuming, you can always opt for software that will help you import the files to Microsoft Outlook.