You made a great Instagram post with perfect hashtags, but just having those things isn’t enough for your post to show up in search results and people’s feeds. The Instagram Algorithm is constantly changing, so in order to Get more Instagram followers to see and like your post, you need to please the algorithm as well as your audience.
What is Instagram Algorithm?
The Instagram Algorithm is a combination of different things that decide how well your posts and account perform on the app. It’s like the algorithms used by Facebook and YouTube, but it’s harder to figure out and less predictable.
It impacts your Instagram’s default feed, Explore Page, hashtags, etc. The vast majority of the audience probably views the default feed. Therefore, it is crucial to understand what Instagram algorithm deems worthwhile and is important to craft a successful Social Media Marketing strategy.
Now let’s get into the latest updates in the Instagram algorithm to make your content efficient and get the attention it deserves.
“We use a variety of algorithms, classifiers, and processes, each with its purpose,” wrote Instagram CEO Adam Mosseri in 2021 in a blog post entitled “Shedding More Light on How Instagram Works.”
“We want to make the most of your time, and we believe using technology to personalize your experience is the best way.”
What is it that Instagram Algorithm ultimately determines:
- Posts that go on the top of the feed
- In what order
- Which posts are featured on the Explore tab
- Order of stories, live videos, reels, etc.
All these factors and results are not common to every user. Every individual’s feed is different from other users. That means Each user’s feed is specifically curated according to their preferences, likes, engagements, followers, followings, etc.
How does the Instagram Algorithm Decide What Content to show - Factors:
- Does the user interact with you frequently?
- What kind of post does the user engage with? Is it Image, Video, carousels, reels, etc.?
- When was it posted? Was it posted recently?
- What is the Frequency of the user checking in on Instagram?
- How many people does the user follow? What kinds of accounts do they follow the most?
- How long does the user spend on Instagram per day?
Instagram Algorithm for Feed and Stories
The algorithm sorts through the content of the accounts the users follow and predicts how likely they are to interact with a post. It is based on the following criteria:
- The number of likes a post gets
- Time and date when it was posted
- Information about the person who posted, and users interaction history with them
- The quantity and content of posts the user has interacted with leads Instagram to understand what posts you like and is interested in.
Instagram Algorithm for Reels
Reels are from both the accounts you follow and those you don’t. The algorithm uses the following criteria:
- The algorithm uses your activity and interaction history to determine what reels to show you
- Information about the reel and the person who posted it are also taken into consideration
- Reels with high engagement are more likely to be shown to a larger audience
- The algorithm may also prioritize reels with popular music or hashtags that are currently trending
- Reels that are shared frequently or saved by users may also be promoted by the algorithm.
Instagram Algorithm for the Explore Tab
What is the importance of getting on the Instagram Explore page?
Regarding Instagram, coming on Explore is like being exposed to millions of eyes. Your reach drastically increases, lead you to Grow free followers, likes, engagement, leads, and revenue generation.
The Instagram page is like a collection of content based on the user’s interests. It also has the performing posts in their interest areas. No two explore pages are similar because the algorithm curates the content according to each user’s taste.
It’s important for every brand to try to get on the Explore page because it means that people who are interested in content like yours will see your page. This can lead to increased visibility and get you more Instagram followers as well.
How exactly does the Instagram algorithm work? No one exactly knows. However, there are certain factors based on which Instagram personalizes the Explore page:
- Posts that are new and see a lot of engagement
- The content one regularly engages with
- Accounts that you’re already following
- The types of posts that see engagement from people you follow
The Instagram Algorithm is an ever-changing set of factors that determine the performance of your posts and account on the platform. It impacts your default feed, the Explore Page, hashtags, and more, and is crucial to understanding when crafting a successful social media marketing strategy.
The algorithm is personalized for each user, based on their preferences, likes, engagement, followers, followings, and other factors.
To get the attention your content deserves, it’s important to keep up with the latest updates in the Instagram algorithm and focus on getting on the Explore page to increase your visibility and reach a wider audience.
While no one knows exactly how the algorithm works, certain factors, such as engagement and new content, play a role in how Instagram curates content for the Explore page. Ultimately, by understanding and working with the algorithm, you can increase your chances of success on Instagram.